Charlie Choke Blacksmith.

Charlie Choke at work making a horseshoe in his blacksmith’s shop. These premises were behind Fore Street.

“Charlie had one of the most contagious laughs I’ve ever heard! Lovely man. His Austrian born widow Margaret survived him for many years, living in Chard. Lovely lady as well. She died around 2005 or 2006.” from Steve Doble.

Celebration of 100 years of the Milk Factory.

A parade of vintage vehicles passing Hemyock motor and the church during the celebrations to mark the Centenary of the Milk Factory 1986.

Mr Finch’s steam roller.

Cyril Finch’s Steam Roller which made many appearances in carnival processions.

The aftermath of the Hemyock floods

A group looking at the aftermath of the floods at the corner by Hemyock Motors, L to R. Martin Pring, Ruby Mather, Phyllis Salter, Sam Mather with Bob Lowman on the Right. The buildings in the background housed Alfred Wide & Co’s egg packing station.

Redwoods bus during Hemyock floods.

One of Redwood’s buses going through the floods at Millhayes, in front of the bus is a car with it’s bonnet up, obviously caught out by the floods.

Mr Hall’s Saddlers shop

At the bottom of Cornhill with Mr. Halls saddlers shop, later to become the butcher’s shop.

 

An early postcard of Hemyock

An early post card view of the square in Hemyock. In the foreground is the Hemyock Pump erected in 1902. On the left the Star Inn burnt down in 1928.

The Old Saw Mill Yard, Hemyock

The Old Saw Mill Yard c 1891-1893. This circular saw was driven by a portable steam engine, as opposed to a traction engine which moved under it’s own power. This engine was hauled by a horse, the shafts are visible in front of the smoke box. The chimney was hinged to fold horizontally, laying in the

A group at Redwood coach depot around 1988.

A group at Redwood’s coach depot c. 1988. L to R. Brian, Paul and Jackie Redwood with pram and Geoffrey Sutton, Charlie Burston, Paul Cross, late Terry Smith from Tonedale, and Ann Redwood.