Cload’s Railway Hotel

This invoice to Mr Cload was from the Blacksmith for shoeing etc, presumably Mr Cload sent a horse and carriage down to the station to collect passengers arriving and staying at his hotel which became the Catherine Wheel much later. He may have operated a taxi service. The hotel was separate from the Pub which was called the Star, until 1928 when it was burned down.

Cload’s Railway Hotel

Receipt for goods supplied. The Catherine Wheel was called the Cload’s Railway Hotel up until part of the premises called the Star Inn was burnt down in 1928 when a traction engine passed by and a spark set the thatch on fire. Alfred Wide was the shop at the bottom of the High Street. This receipt is from 1896 signed by Alfred Wide who served in World War 1 throughout, sending letters back to his daughter who lives in Hemyock called Joan Cooper. He fought in the Battle of the Somme and survived, although injured. He then went back to the front line later, returning to Hemyock to work in the shop and play bowls. He was a stalwart of the Bowls Club.

Hemyock’s Redwood buses

Redwood005 redwoods buses 1960-1a redwood buses-1c redwood buses2-1a redwood buses2-1c Redwood001 Redwood002

R F James and Geoff James about 1935

R F James Lorry

Geoff James as Puck in Robin Hood in 1933

Vera Gwendoline Griffin and Reginald James at Station Rd Shop

R F James shop in station rd in 1920’s

R F James at shop, then vets now private house.