Job Salter

Hemyock Dairy School Notebook from 1905 by Job Salter

This is the first page of the notebook written by Job Salter when he attended the Hemyock Dairy School in 1905. The notebook contains 26 pages of well written instructions on how to look after milking cows, how to rear them and how to churn milk to produce butter with ideal temperatures and treating process.

Hemyock School play

This image was supplied by Garry Still who is in the middle of the image holding a duck, and to his right there is John Northam or Skip as he was known from his scout days. Does anyone remember any more names please. Was ther play The Mikado? We try to updatre all our archive photos with accurate information.

Hemyock School play

This image was supplied by Garry Still who is in the middle of the image holding a duck, and to his right there is John Northam or Skip as he was known from his scout days. Does anyone remember any more names please. Was ther play The Mikado? We try to updatre all our archive photos with accurate information.

Horse and Harrow at Kentisebeare in 1920

Mr Edward Goff in field at cottage below Guddiford Mills, Kentisbeare, in 1920. The Mills are now called Goodiford Mills and the Hoseasons Holiday Centre is also called Goodford Mills.

Foxwell & sons, builder and maker of poultry houses

Blackborough House

Image of Blackborough House in 1913. BLACKBOROUGH HOUSE was built in 1838 by George Francis Wyndham, the fourth and last Earl of Egremont. Designed by James Thomas Knowles, Senior who specialised in Italianate architecture, it was originally planned to be a much grander house but a change in the Earl’s personal circumstances led to the house being re-designed as the two semi-detached houses that you see today. The Earl resided in one half and the local rector, a relation, lived on the other side. In its heyday, the house boasted 2 towers, nearly seventy feet high but since demolished. Still remaining but in great need of attention, an Italian-style loggia, encircles the ground floor and 12 huge chimneys make this property stand out in the Devon countryside. However when a developer with funds started the process of getting planning permission to turn it into a Hotel with its magnificent views south to Honiton and its wonderful grounds it was thought that the building would be saved for the Nation. After several years of planning the entire project has been stopped and the site will simply disintegrate.

Rev & Mrs Llewellyn-Jones

Rev and Mrs Llewellyn-Jones at the Rectory in the 1960’s

Hemyock Church Fete at the Rectory in the 1960’s

Hemyock Church Fete at the Rectory in the 1960’s