Hemyock Bowling Club c.1920

Hemyock Bowling Club c.1920.

L to R. Back row. Harry Summers, John Clist, Sam Farrant, Bill Griffiths, Jack Exton, Mark Lowman.

Front row. Mr. Shepherd, Mr. Phillips, Tom Sandford, Mr. Wheeler, Jack Sandford, Reg Barton

Cpt Elmes and the British Legion Members in 1922.

Captain F.R. Elmes (2nd row, 3rd from the left) with the first local group of British Legion members, c.1922.

The remains of The Star after a fire in 1928.

The remains of The Star after a fire destroyed it in 1928.

The Star and Railway Inn in 1920’s.

The Star and Railway Inns in the early 1920s.

Part of the Milk Factory after the fire in 1923

In 1923 part of the factory was destroyed by fire.

Mr Hole’s First Milk Lorry.

Mr. Hole with the first milk lorry, note the horn on his right and the lights which appear to be oil lit, c. 1920

Laying foundations for the Hemyock Parish Hall, 1927.

Laying the foundation stone for Hemyock Parish Hall in 1927. On the right is the Rector, Rev de Burgh Forbes. And on his right Mr. Jim Hart who built the hall. A time capsule was placed beside this stone at the time. The Rev.Forbes was remembered later the smaller of the rooms in the building was named The Forbes Lounge.

Barton Family at Castle Cottage

The Barton family at Castle Cottage c. 1920, Lydia Jane, Reginald and Mabel Dora (nee Russell)

Clist and Granger Wedding party 1920


A wedding group c. 1920 following the marriage of Lily Granger and Eli Clist. The small girl standing front left wearing boots is Cissie Granger. The bride is in the white dress in the front row, her groom is standing behind her.