The Star Inn, 1908.

A view of The Star Inn, 1908. On The left is Mrs. Hawkins, grandmother to Mrs. Evelyn Pike. Mrs. Hawkins cooked lunches in The Star, she is talking to a Mrs. Quick. In the background are Mr. Luxton the ostler and Mr. Denning who brought the Royal Mail from Cullompton to Hemyock. The gentleman with the broad brimmed hat was the Vicar of Dunkeswell Abbey Church.

An early postcard of Hemyock

An early post card view of the square in Hemyock. In the foreground is the Hemyock Pump erected in 1902. On the left the Star Inn burnt down in 1928.

A Hemyock Christmas Card

A Christmas card from Hemyock, pre 1900 because the old village pump is in the Square and the old school / Parish house is still on the corner of the Churchyard where the War Memorial now stands. The two pubs can be seen on the left.

Uffculme School Photos 1912

These two photos were taken at Uffculme School in 1912. The bottom left of the chalk boards being held, have the numbers 1 and 2 – the class numbers? The bottom right, it appears to be ‘BYO’ or ‘B70’.

Picture of Class 1, Uffculme School, 1912

Class 1, Uffculme School, 1912

The teacher on the left, in the following picture is Mrs Whittle. The teacher on the right is Miss Quant – later to become Mrs Leatt. Mr Leatt was the landlord of the Commercial Inn.

Picture of Class 2, Uffculme School, 1912

Class 2, Uffculme School, 1912